Friday, February 22, 2013


I love mushrooms. I also love cooking shows. I'll watch anything that has to do with cooking. I am a vegetarian for over 40+ years but I still watch BBQ university. When I watch these shows, they use the most outrageous mushrooms. But, when I go to my store, they are rarely displayed or are so expensive that I have never tried them. Confused and frugal, I decided to get a better knowledge of mushrooms.

I immediately was overwhelmed by the massive world of the mushroom. Clearly, it could take a lifetime to master this field of knowledge. Therefore, I decided to concentrate first on the edible varieties.

Mushrooms are not difficult to grow if you follow some simple rules. However, you will NOT save a lot of money raising your own. Your reward is that you will have your favorites on hand and will have the more hard-to-find varieties at conveniently at hand. Another reward is the joy that you get because of the mere beauty of these "fungilicious" food sources.


The purpose of this blog will be to;
  • List the most popular EDIBLE mushrooms and provide a guide to growing them.
  • Discuss the fundamentals of growing mushrooms.
  • Discover the fantastic world of mushrooms - many non-edible, some poisonous and even som that glow in the dark
So lets get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment